3.17.2011

Review: Maybelline Clear Smooth Shine-Free Face Powder

I have very very oily skin, and I live in hot and humid Philippines, so I depend on powder to get rid of midday shine. I don't like using heavy 2-in-1 powder foundations, because they tend to look too heavy and caked on, plus it usually gets ashy on my already ashy skintone. I also have acne-prone skin, so thick makeup = eww.

When I was looking to buy a new powder, I noticed my sister kept getting the Maybelline Clear Smooth Shine-Free Face Powder (whew, what a name!). Local stores offer 4 shades, and I got myself the one in Honey (which has slightly yellow undertones), from Watson's, for 199 PHP.



CLEAR SMOOTH 
Shine Free Face Powder 
in HONEY

"Shine free finish. Silky smooth texture. 
Fragrance free. 
Oil free. 
Non-comedogenic. 
Won't clog pores."
THE VERDICT:

I liked it :) (Actually, I've gone through four already hahaha. )

Compared to other powders I've tried, this made my skin matte for the longest time, and without looking too caked. Although I thought it looked a bit too matte sometimes haha. It also tends to get a bit ashy if you layer on too much at the end of the day. The texture of the powder is fine, so it feels really light especially when you pat it on. I suggest applying it in thin layers so it doesn't look too much like you have makeup on.

This powder gives light coverage for those who want to even out their skin tone without putting on heavy foundations. Don't expect it to cover anything more than minor imperfections such as acne or very dark spots. It does a great job though in creating a more even complexion. It visually minimizes pores a bit (for a couple hours) so your face looks like a clean canvas.

PROS:
-Nice and neat packaging, discreet
-Fine texture, very light and smooth application
-translucent color does not "block" the natural skintone
-Great at absorbing excess oil

CONS:
-The color becomes ashy if you pile on too much (solution: A little goes a long way :D)
-Can get cakey when you put it on an oily T-zone. I use oil blotting film before I retouch. This also makes it last longer and look better as well.
-It says fragrance free, but I do notice a sort of fragrance that is neither good or bad, it's just there haha.
-Can be too matte! I prefer shine-free in the sense that there isn't an oilslick. But putting this on too much can make dull skin even duller, especially in flash photography, so make sure you don't pile it on :) Again, this product is great for keeping your skin healthy looking if you apply it only as needed (for T-zone, etc)

After a while, my skin improved a bit, probably because of switching to a lighter coverage. Using oil blotting film removes excess oil and makes the powder look just-applied. So touch-ups arent really necessary. This has also been great as a finishing powder :) So far, I haven't broken out from using this (I don't apply a lot).

For 199 PHP, it's a pretty affordable product that delivers. I'd recommend it for people who don't care too much about heavy makeup like foundation, concealer, etc. Also for people who have "okay" skin but want a more even skin tone.

This has become one of my go-to powders, so hopefully it also works for others as well as it did for me :)

7 comments:

  1. Hi i-ann! Your site is the bomb! Haha. Anyway I have a question or a request. Could you make a write up on avon mineral powder? I was thinking of buying it kasi. My skin is kinda oily and prone to breakouts, and i've heard that mineral make-up would promote healthy skin. Plus avon has a competitive price which I like. Thanks!
    -Your number one makeup fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Try finding a moisturizer that will lessen the oiliness of your skin. I’ve read from a blogger that moisturizers are great help to lessen the oiliness.
    xo,
    ~Pauline @Kallony

    ReplyDelete
  3. This thing is making me break out!!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to hear that! There are several reasons why even "hypoallergenic" products may cause breakouts.

      - Ingredients. You might be reactive or sensitive to common ingredients like Talc. Even some mineral foundations use ingredients that can cause reactions in people who have sensitive skin (I heard Bismuth oxychloride is one of those). Take time to check out ingredients before trying out a product.

      - Bacteria-infested applicators. Make sure to wash your brush/sponge/puff once or twice a week with mild soap and water, and let dry poperly, Most people forget to do this. It is more important when you tend to use the puff/sponge several times a day.

      - Application. Even silky hypoallergenic powders like this need the proper application. It is important that you blot or wipe any oils or sweat before reapplying new layers. This prevents the powder from mixing with the oil/sweat and trapping dirt.

      - Removal. Make sure to wash off any makeup residue. Even though this powder might be invisible by nighttime, you should be conscious of how much dirt and bacteria are on your epidermis at the end of the day.

      - Compatibility. If you have dry or sensitive skin, mattifying products might exacerbate your skin. Be careful about matching your products to your skin type.

      I hope your problem arises from one of the above! If it persists though, the best thing is to switch to a brand that is more compatible with your skin type :) Good luck!

      Delete
  4. Really nice choice. But Im an avid fan of Oil Blotting Sheets since I have really oily skin. My personal choice is Chambuu blotting sheets since it's organic and it doesn't have any fragrance (I have rhinitis so I am avoiding tissues that has perfume in it).

    You can purchase it here: http://amzn.to/1Rg1Kjt and use this code: WYMBLF6S for discounts. Discount code is working (I just tried it yesterday).

    ReplyDelete