8.03.2011

I am coloring my hair Blue!

You heard me right.. Blue!

Okay, I only wish I could get my hair completely blue, haha! It would match my newest literary hero, Percy Jackson :)

Buuut... sadly, nope, not electric blue, although my "dye" is that precise color. Actually, I've been plagued by really brassy, orange-tinted hair since my ash-based haircolor has faded a bit. I looked up all sorts of natural remedies, and found the following:

- Lemon juice
- Hair developer
- Purple or blue Toner
- Coffee/Tea
- Grape Kool aid

Which one did I use?

The lemon juice was probably the most common solution I found online, but apparently it works better for lighter-haired people (blondes) than for brunettes like me. Had I used it, I would have gotten even more brassy!

I didn't want to use hair developer either, because it is still the same stuff (peroxide, etc) that lifts the natural color from hair, so it would still lead to some sort of brassiness.

Something new I discovered was toner, which is supposed to deposit color onto your hair without changing the base color dramatically. Using purple and/or blue-based toners are the prime solution in the States to counteract brassiness in blond and ashy tones. I don't think I can get that easily in the Philippines... And since there aren't a lot of blondes here in the first place, neither do we have the blue/purple shampoo and conditioner sets that are common abroad.

Which brings me to coffee. I didn't have time to steep some strong tea, but I did have instant coffee, which did actually make my hair a bit less orangey. That, and I smelled like Starbucks for the next three days every single time I got my hair wet :D

But alas, the brassiness returned... and since there wasn't any grape Kool-aid, I figured.... FOOD COLORING???

Yup! I got myself a bottle and poured half of it into my Suave Healthy Curls shampoo. The result? Creepy blue gel that makes my skin look zombie-like! Hahaha. I put just enough to leave some color in my hair while not staining my skin/hands.

After two uses, my sister (who didn't know about the crazy stunt I pulled) commented on my hair and how it looked really nice (she's been teasing me FOREVER about the brassy hair!).

And that's how I began the habit of coloring my hair blue every time I shower :) Crazy? Yeah, definitely, but it's been working :) Here's a photo rundown of why I got so desperate :)

Wanna see my creepy looking shampoo?? (It looks green, I know. It's more of a.. teal.. haha!)


Here's my hair from a shoot last month. I saw the pictures and went "eeeeeewwwww!!!!!!" at how orange it is >.<
Icky brassy hair!!!!
Here are some pictures from today's edit! (August 4) And yes, I came straight out of the shower so the "blue" effect (meaning the unbrassiness) is at its strongest :) The shade is now back to being more ash-based than orage, which is how it's supposed to be anyway, haha!



It feels funny to be dyeing my hair bluish, at the time that Smurfs movie comes out. Heehee. Till next time! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment