1.05.2013

How does 'Makeup by I-ann Monzon' sound?

I've been wanting to develop my own cosmetic line.

It started with my realization that some colors of foundation are so uncalculated for natural skin tones (manufacturers don't always think of acidity/humidity/stress factors that affect skin tone). Especially here in the Philippines, foundation colors are not very tonally varied, and makeup addicts resort to direct sellers of mineral makeup such as Ellana or Milea, both of which I've found to have a fairly wide range of tones to suit every kind of Filipina.
Even celebs can look like ghosts with bad foundation! (Google Images)
Beyond coloring however, I also very recently developed a curiosity with the performance of some cosmetic products, such as primers and serums, whose properties can fall short of what is advertised. One of my older sisters used to teach me how to read labels of products, so I knew when something had special benefits (ie: sometimes un-advertised are Vitamins E, C and B, or Tocopherol Acetate, Ascorbic acid, Niacinamide). Really knowing what chemicals you slather on your face tends to make you insightful about what these products are there for! :D

Now, comparing local prices here in the Philippines, most people consider cosmetics a luxury because of the added expense. Why would you spend more than a thousand pesos for a primer that looks like it'll be gone by the end of the month? If you get that amount for a lot less, then maybe it would be easier to enjoy beauty products without it digging a hole out of your allowance/salary/savings.

Around P800/15ml (Google Images)

$32/0.32oz at Sephora (Google Images)

The products I really want to develop and sell first are makeup primers, foundations and maybe serums. I want to cover the most basic of all - your face. If you don't have clear skin (like my acne-ridden face all throughout high school), your self esteem really does suffer (I know mine did, hahaha!). I believe that makeup, especially foundation, should blend naturally with your skin and give you a natural-looking glow, instead of providing complete coverage that has EVERYONE noticing that you put it on that day. "Foundation Day", anyone? Hahaha (Philippine joke!)

I'm looking for ways now to develop my own formulas to work with what people need and want. I know a lot of friends wish they could afford a nice primer to enhance their skintone and make their makeup last, so that's the first thing I'll be figuring out. Next is how to develop a realistic color range for foundations, so it can address sallowness/redness/tan undertones.

Hopefully this venture will work out, because I am really excited. Wish me luck!




No comments:

Post a Comment