7.18.2011

Review: Celeteque Advanced Light Cleansing Oil

Most beauty aficionados are likely to be familiar with the term ‘cleansing oil’, which until recent years, has almost referred exclusively to the Shu Uemura Cleansing Oil. Other brands have followed suit, although with varying degrees of similarity and function. Recently, local hypoallergenic brand Celeteque (which apart from the Garnier line, is my go-to for the best “basic” skincare) has introduced a cleansing oil to their Advanced (anti-aging) line of products.

Let me explain how I came by this in the first place. I have slightly sensitive but extremely oily skin, and it’s been that way for a while. All throughout high school and early college years, I had constant breakouts and I only enjoyed clear skin when I discovered Celeteque (for maintenance skin care) and Garnier (for treatment-based skin care) in 08-09. 

Even until now, I suffer sudden breakouts and rough skin when I don’t cleanse properly or when I’m out in the sun for too long (I get a facial rash! Weird!) I sweat easily, and even my sweat causes breakouts within 24 hours. My skin had this habit of turning oily just 5 MINUTES after cleansing. Insane! Basically the last few years of my life revolved around oil-blotting sheets!

Two weeks ago, I was reading an issue of Cosmo that featured an article about deep-cleansing for clearer skin. I had just started suffering from another weird rash, and my face looked like Mars!!! I devoured the article, and it said that a crucial step (especially for oily people) is to use an oil or gel-based makeup remover right before cleansing (even without makeup). At first I thought it was counterproductive, being oily, but then I figured oil would remove oil.. Sooo... I tried it first on Baby Oil.. Which seemed to get my skin a bit cleaner... But after a few days, I went and got a bottle of this new Celeteque product to give it a try!


Btw, its name is a mouthful!

Celeteque Advanced Anti-Wrinkle Ultra-Hydrating Cleanser Light Cleansing Oil with Dual Vitamin Regenerating Complex
(hitherto known as “Cleansing oil” haha!)

Dermatologist tested
For sensitive skin
Non-comedogenic
Hypo-allergenic
Fragrance Free

Directions:
Gently smooth Cleansing Oil over dry face in a gentle circular motion. Wash with water, preferably lukewarm to ensure that oil is thoroughly rinsed off. May also be used by putting a few drops on a cotton ball. Apply to face and neck to remove make-up and deep-seated dirt. Use everyday for thorough deep cleaning.


THE VERDICT

After using it for one week, I must say, I THINK IT WORKS!

(NOTE: Since I have oily skin, I use a facial wash AFTER using this, so my results are based on using it as a makeup remover, not as a stand-alone cleanser :D)

After just two consecutive uses (one morning, one night), the pores along the sides of my nose became finer, and the acne I had started drying up almost instantly. More incredible of all, perhaps, is the fact that my oiliness has been reduced to almost 50%!!! I do not lie! I haven’t even had to use a single oil blotter in the last week, just relying on Kleenex to wipe off the occasional sweat throughout the day.

I can tell that the formula is working extra hard on my skin, because when compared to the days I was using baby oil, the rate of improvement was so rapid with the Cleansing oil. My guess is it’s because of the Vitamin E (and Vitamin A as well, or a derivative, I think) and the Anti-wrinkle ingredients.

Over the last few days, my pimples have been reduced in size (and appearance as well – not so inflamed). The comedos that I’ve had (the bumps under my skin that have been there since forever) have been breaking to the surface much faster as well, without turning into pimples.

PROS

-Easy to use, easy to wash off, very light
-Will last a long time, since you only use a few drops each time
-Preventive Anti-aging
-Good looking, and informative packaging, simple and sleek bottle
-Takes out waterproof eye makeup
-Skin feels healthier and smoother after cleansing
-Really regulated my sebum production
-Diminished breakouts

CONS
-Adds an extra step to a beauty regimen
-Does not emulsify with water (compared to the Shu Uemura oils, which are rinseable by water)
-Costs a bit much on a student budget (close to Php400 for a 100ml bottle) but then you only use a bit
-It says “for Pregnant and breastfeeding women, it is best to consult your physician before using this product”. Hmm..
-It’s still mineral oil, and might not attract a lot of oil-fearing people (like I had been)

LAST SAY!
I’ll keep this entry updated with how my skin reacts to this product over a longer period of time. As everyone knows, it takes at least a month and a half to see any real effect of a product (as it is enough time for skin cells to be completely shed and replaced in the cycle). So far though, I’m definitely loving this :)
 
____________________________________________________________________

UPDATE!

After two and a half weeks of using this consistently, my acne has been reduced to about 40%, bumps are almost gone, the texture of my skin in some areas are back to being baby smooth again, and oiliness is down to a minimum! More updates to come!

3 comments:

  1. Hey neat! I've also been doing the same cleansing oil treatment for a week now too, even if I also have oily skin. But I'm using Human Nature Sunflower Cleansing Oil, which I got at the Lay Bare on Doña Soledad for PhP 350 for a 200 ml bottle. It doesn't have as many active ingredients or minerals as this Celeteque stuff, but I got it because it's cheaper. :P Do update this so I can also compare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Victoria! Thanks for the comment :) It's funny how I live near Dona Soledad and have no idea there's a Lay Bare there haha. I've heard of the Human Nature line, but not their cleansing oil. Will check it out! Haha. I got the Celeteque coz I've trusted the brand and it's formulated a bit on mild anti-aging. Keep me posted on your regimen too! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Actually, lahat naman ng cosmetics, ingestives or ano mang pinapahid sa katawan, pregnant/breastfeeding women should really consult their doctor before using. It's good that Celeteque includes that in the packaging unlike other products.

    ReplyDelete